Fighting For Victims Harmed In 18-Wheeler Accidents
Heavy traffic is a daily reality throughout much of Texas, especially in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. This includes commercial traffic from 18-wheelers and other trucks. And with so much traffic flow, crashes are unfortunately common. In any given year, there are about 2,000 commercial vehicle accidents in Tarrant County alone.
Crashes are particularly common on highways and interstates like I-35E and I-35W, I-635 and I-820, and U.S. Routes 65, 75 and 77, just to name a few. Due to high speeds and the sheer size and weight of trucks, 18-wheeler accidents are often highly injurious or deadly for occupants of smaller vehicles.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured (or worse) in a truck accident caused by a negligent driver, it’s important to know that you have legal options and may be entitled to compensation. The first step in understanding and utilizing those options is to contact Perez Collazo Law Firm.
Common Causes Of Truck Accidents
18-wheeler accidents are often the result of negligence on the part of the truck driver, the trucking company, or both. Some common risk factors include:
- Truck driver fatigue caused by driving too many hours
- Truck driver fatigue caused by a medical condition (diagnosed or undiagnosed) such as sleep apnea
- Driver distraction from a cellphone, company-issued electronic devices, etc.
- Driver impairment or intoxication (drugs and alcohol)
- Trucking companies that force drivers to spend too many consecutive hours behind the wheel
- Time pressures that encourage truck drivers to drive aggressively or recklessly
- Failure to maintain and repair vehicle equipment – especially worn-out brakes
- Inadequate training and monitoring of drivers
After an accident, both truck drivers and their employers may try to downplay their negligence and obscure the facts of the accident. But thankfully, it is now easier than ever to reconstruct accidents using objective evidence/data gathered from highway cameras, event data recorders in vehicles, GPS navigation systems and other tech devices. We utilize all these tools and more in our investigation of the crash.
Discuss Your Case With A Truck Accident Attorney Today
Perez Collazo Law Firm is based in Arlington and serves clients throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area. To take advantage of a free initial consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer, send us an email or call 817-366-2380.